Sunday, February 26, 2017

Overwhelming Grace

Inspired by the story of the woman caught in adultery from John 8

I will never forget that day. Jesus literally saved my life that day. It started out just like any other day. I found myself craving affection and attention as usual. You see, I allowed myself to believe that these men really wanted me. For the short time that I was with them I allowed myself to believe that I was loved. So again I blindly went into the arms of another man. This day was different though. What happened was much worse than the normal events. The emotions that come along with being used and then immediately pushed aside were bad enough, but this day was so much worse. I was once again in the arms of another man when suddenly I was being pulled into the street. As I dropped the garments I was dragging behind me and was thrown on the ground I realized this was much worse than just being used and thrown away. I quickly understood that these men intended to stone me. These men were exposing all of my disgrace and shame for the world to see. Fear gripped me, but there was nothing I could do.

Then I saw Him...He was the man that so many had spoken of. He was supposed to be kind and loving. How could He be here in the midst of this?  Had everyone completely misjudged Him? Was He no different than the rest of them? I heard the men who had taken me ask Him what they should do to me. I struggled to cover myself as best I could only failing with my garments laying on the ground some feet away from me. I realized He had not answered yet. I looked up and saw Him writing in the sand. Everyone's eyes were on Him, and this gave me the chance to grab my garments and compose myself just a little bit. It was my last chance to have any shred of decency. Then I finally heard Him speak.

I will never forget His words, "Let him among you who is without sin cast the first stone." Now, I probably knew better than anyone that most of these men were covered in sin. Many of them were the very men who took me into their bed. Others had groped me or flirted with me in public. That didn't matter to them obviously though considering the man they found me with was still safe in his home. I waited with my eyes tightly shut to feel that first stone slam into my body. Seconds flew by, and then the moments began to pass. I never felt that first stone. 

After what seemed like an eternity I opened my eyes to see all those accusing me were gone. Only this one man stood gazing at me with love in His eyes. It was different than the way most men looked at me. His eyes weren't filled with lust or hatred, but there was love and kindness there. For the first time in a long time I truly felt loved. He took my hand and asked me simply, "Where are they? Does no one condemn you?" Trembling I realized there was no one there to condemn me. My heart filled with fear as I looked into His eyes. What did this man think of me? How could it be that He would truly care? Then He told me, "I don't condemn you either. Now go and sin no more." I didn't understand. How is it possible that this Godly man didn't condemn me? Why would this man care for me so much? 

Overwhelmed by His love and kindness I slowly walked away. It hasn't been easy, but I have tried to walk away from all those things that put me there in the first place. There are days that I struggle with my sin, and I have to fight to keep from returning to my old ways. Then I remember the love in His eyes. It reminds me that love is pure. Love has nothing to do with what I did all those years before. That man who changed my life became quite famous. A short time later He was killed on a cross by many of the same people that accused me that day. I don't understand it. Why was I spared, yet this man wasn't? There was definitely something special about Him. He was so much more than what I had been told. I truly believe that He was the Messiah sent to save and rescue us. He saved me. Without a doubt He changed my life forever, and because of Him I will strive each day to "Go and sin no more."

2 comments:

  1. So beautifully written! I could just see the love in his eyes towards her. How did I not know that you have a blog? Glad I stumbled upon it.

    ReplyDelete